[tx09linux] Announce: New Linux kernel and U-Boot release 20110309

Nils Faerber nils.faerber at kernelconcepts.de
Tue Mar 15 12:19:35 UTC 2011

We are pleased to announce that there is a new TMPA9xx Linux release
available:

	http://www.mucross.com/downloads/tx09-linux/Release-20110309/

Most major changes are on the Linux Kernel side:

 - major improvements in the NAND driver
        * upgrade recommended *
  The NAND driver now properly supports UBI - UBI is now recommended for
  new designs and enables faster boot time (the minimal image in the
  rootfs subdir starts-up in about 10 seconds, not including u-boot
  start-up time).
  For hints on installing and switching rootfs types see
        http://tx09linux.kernelconcepts.de/support/docs/getstarted/

  Hint: If you are using NAND booting on a TOPASA900 board you may
  experience problems after reset/power-up. See the following page about
  possible solutions:
        http://tx09linux.kernelconcepts.de/hw/boards/BMSKTOPAS900/

 - major improvements in the I2C bus driver
        * upgrade recommended *

 - improvements in the SPI driver

 - switch to ARM primecell drivers for
        - UART
        - I2C
        - framebuffer

 - en- and disabling UART ports can now be done in kernel config ("make
   menuconfig")

 - New abstractions in board files for TPMA - this allows easier adding
   of custom board implementations

With this new release we changed the release directory structure. The
main directories are:

src/
	Contains all relevant sourcecodes, U-Boot bootloader and
	Linux kernel

The following directories contain ready compiled binary versions of the
released U-Boot and kernel as well as prepared root-filesystem images.
We hope that this improves overview over which files are needed to
support one of the supported boards:

tonga2/
        u-boot/
                U-Boot binaries
        kernel/
                kernel binary
        rootfs/
                some ready-to-run root-filesystem images

topas910/
        u-boot-nor/
                U-Boot binaries for NOR flash
        u-boot-nand/
                U-Boot binaries for NAND flash
        kernel/
                kernel binary
        rootfs/
                some ready-to-run root-filesystem images

topasa900/
        u-boot-nor/
                U-Boot binaries for NOR flash
        u-boot-nand/
                U-Boot binaries for NAND flash
        kernel/
                kernel binary
        rootfs/
                some ready-to-run root-filesystem images

openocd-cfg/
	Contains Open-OCD configuration files for Linux JTAG usage

Please do not hesitate to give feedback to this release so that we can
improve - many thanks!

Kudos[1] to Thomas Haase and Michael Hunold or fixing a lot of stuff!

on behalf of the kernel concepts TMPA9xx team
  nils

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

--
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535